Concentrating Solar Thermal Plant
Irwin applied its civil and mechanical construction and project management capabilities to this first-of-its-kind concentrating solar power (CSP) project in southern California. Over the course of a year, Irwin transformed the remote desert site from a large dirt field into a sophisticated solar power plant that supplies 5MW of clean, renewable energy to the grid.
- Excavation, grading and site preparation of 20-acre greenfield site
- Erection of two 150-foot towers, and placement of two 64-ton custom-built boilers
- All civil and concrete for tower foundations, power block, cooling system and other plant components
- Steam lines and associated connections
- Installation of 5.5MW GE turbine generator and all associated equipment and tie-ins
- Installation of 25,000 solar reflecting heliostats Startup and commissioning